Can You Claim a Tax Credit for Sending Your Child to Summer Camp?

6a0133f3fc5805970b01bb08596175970d-320wiFamily child care providers often don’t think about the potential for claiming tax credits involving their own children.

But, you can claim the federal child care tax credit if you send your own child to a summer camp (soccer camp, YWCA camp, etc.), if you meet these tests:

  • Your child attends the camp while you are working
  • You child is under age 13
  • If you have a spouse, your spouse must either be working, looking for work, or disabled while your child is at camp
  • If you are married, you must file a joint tax return, unless you are legally separated or if you and your spouse live apart

You may also qualify for this child care tax credit if you send your child to another child care program (preschool, etc.) while you are working. You cannot claim this credit if the person providing care is your dependent or a spouse or another child of your own who is under age 19. You can claim this credit if you send your child to another child care provider at any time during the year.

You cannot claim this tax credit if your child stays overnight at the summer camp or if you pay someone to do summer school tutoring for your child. .

Keep all your receipts for summer camp or child care expenses. Get the name, address and Social Security number or employer identification number of the care provider.

You can claim this as a child care tax credit on your personal tax return (Form 1040). This is not a business expense. For more information, see IRS Publication 503 Child and Dependent Care Expenses. You can call the IRS at 800-829-3676 to have it mailed to you.

Here’s a nice article summarizing this tax credit.

Tom Copeland –

Image credit:

Categories: Deductions, Record Keeping & Taxes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *