The Truth About Giving Parents a Receipt

6a0133f3fc5805970b01a51086501d970c-320wiEvery January I get many questions from family child care providers on the same topic:

“Do I have to give the parents in my program an end-of-year receipt?”

“Am I responsible for giving parents my Social Security number, even if they left owing me money?

“Do I have to complete IRS Form W-10 and give one to each parent in my program?”

The answer to all of these questions is “no.”

There seems to be a lot of confusion around this issue, so let’s clear things up.

Most parents who pay a child care provider are entitled to claim a federal child care tax credit using IRS Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Expenses. That form requires the parent to list the name, address, identification number of the child care provider, and the amount paid to the provider.

You do not want to give parents your Social Security number because of the potential problem of identify theft. Instead, get your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. It’s free. See my article on how to get your EIN.

The Instructions to Form 2441 tell parents they can use IRS Form W-10 Dependent Care Provider’s Identification and Certification to collect the identification number of the caregiver. It’s the parent’s responsibility to give this form to the child care provider. It’s not your responsibility to give this form to the parent.

According to the law, family child care providers are not required to give parents their identification number and are not required to give parents an end-of-year receipt. If the parent left your program in 2013 you are not required to track them down to give them this information.

If you are on good terms with the parents in your program I do recommend that you give parents an end-of-year receipt, along with your identification number. Ask the parent to sign one copy and keep it in your records. This can help protect you if you are audited and are asked to provide evidence of what the parent paid you for the year. Many providers give receipts to parents this time of year, but most don’t keep a copy signed by the parent.

You can use the Form W-10 as your end-of-year receipt. Although the form doesn’t provide a space indicating how much the parent paid, you can write the amount across the top of the form and have the parent sign it.

Form W-10 is included in the Minute Menu Kids Pro software program as well as in my Family Child Care Tax Workbook and Organizer. Redleaf Press also publishes a family child care receipt book.

You can also create your own receipt: “Received by ______________________(your name) for child care services for the care of ________ (name of child) for 2013. Provider identification number __________ Signed  _________ (parent) _____________ (your name) Dated: __________”

Parent Leaves Owing You Money

If a parent left owing you money I would recommend telling the parent that you will only give them your EIN once they have paid you in full. The only time you face a consequence is if the parent gives you a copy of Form W-10 and you fail to fill it out. If this happens you face a $50 penalty. But since 99% of parents don’t know they are supposed to do this, I wouldn’t worry about it.

How have you handled end-of-year receipts?

Tom Copeland –

Image credit:

2014 TW smallFor more information, see my Family Child Care Tax Workbook and Organizer.

Categories: Record Keeping, Record Keeping & Taxes

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 replies

  1. I’ve got a question. If we did back up care for another provider, would we give the parent a W-2? Would it make a difference if the parent or provider paid us?
    Thank you

  2. The W10 form on the food program actually do fill in the amount that the parent paid from the payments you enter on pro kids.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *