If a parent pays me for January care in December, what year do I report it as income?

You report income in the year you receive it. So, a check you receive in December is income for December, not January. This is true even if you don’t deposit the check until January.

Categories: Ask Tom, Parents & Taxes, Record Keeping & Taxes